[Rdap] CALL for Proposals for VIVO 2018

Violeta Ilik ilik.violeta at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 12:30:07 EST 2018

Hi Daureen,

I am a member of the VIVO community and I would like to provide some info
that can be useful.

VIVO and OSF are not in any way competing with each-other since they are
two different things. VIVO is an open-source semantic web application that
enables the discovery of research and scholarship across disciplines in an
institution and the other one is a platform that stores scholarly works.
VIVO can point to OSF where the content is stored, but VIVO itself is not
storing any digital objects. It serves as a system where we can come and
see all the research that is happening on one campus because the data is
public, structured linked data about investigators interests, activities,
teaching, and  accomplishments. VIVO uses information from local databases
such as human resources, grants, teaching, and other systems, and also
leverages existing institutional systems and populates profiles with
confirmed information.

See example of Scholars at Duke <https://scholars.duke.edu/>where if you look
any researcher profile you will find links to his/her work that may be in a
database that the library licenses or in an institutional repository, or
disciplinary repository such as arXiv, or OSF.

Kind regards,

Violeta