[Rdap] Curating Restricted Use/Sensitive Research Data at Your Institution

Jen Darragh jennifer.darragh at duke.edu
Tue Oct 8 10:05:33 EDT 2019

Hi Folks,

(apologies if you saw this on DataCure already)

I'm currently helming a team at the Duke University Libraries conducting a feasibility study on whether we should engage in curating and archiving primary restricted-use/sensitive data in our repository.  I should note that we are looking at data that would require deeper access restrictions than something most out-of-the-box solutions would afford - as in, would likely need to be accessed in a virtual enclave environment (no direct download). We are looking at three different service models:

Dark archiving: Metadata record and dark storage, only the original depositor or other authorized person can access when necessary.
Duke Access: Metadata record and preservation storage with request workflow and partnership on campus to deliver data access to authorized Duke individuals.
"Public Access": Metadata record and preservation storage with request workflow and partnerships to deliver data access to any authorized individual.

Are any of you currently engaged in providing restricted-use, data archiving support?  If you are, would you be willing to chat with a member of my team to talk about why you set it up, how it's working, FTE, resources, etc.?

Thanks in advance!

Jen

Jennifer Darragh
Pronouns: She/her/hers
Senior Research Data Management Consultant
Center for Data and Visualization Sciences
Duke University Libraries
Perkins Library
PO Box 104732
Durham, NC 27708