[Rdap] Box to other storage solutions - messaging to campus?

Betty Rozum betty.rozum at usu.edu
Wed Apr 22 14:30:34 EDT 2020

--- Also posted to Datacure ---

Hi all,

Our institution will no longer have unlimited storage on Box.  When we rolled out Box we touted it as a great solution to back up data (including research data) and now we find that we must look to other solutions that are not as expensive for storing large datasets.

We (me, CIO, VPR, library dean) are working on messaging that we’ll send to campus about all of this.  It’s complicated by the fact that we will still retain Box – but only for certain files (like day to day office files) and for those researchers with HIPAA data and a few other exceptions.  The CIO wants to see an environment where Box is only used for “live data” and anything else or any large data that requires back up is moved to another solution.

Have any of you been working on this at your campus?  Do you have examples of messages you have sent to your faculty and researchers?  Would you share with me so our group can look at them?

Betty

Betty Rozum
Data Librarian
Merrill-Cazier Library