[Rdap] Job Posting - Metadata Analysis Librarian

Andi Ogier alop at vt.edu
Tue Feb 18 11:25:00 EST 2020

**insert usual meaningless apology for cross posting here**

Hi RDAP!

I wanted to pass along this job ad we just posted for a Metadata Analysis
Librarian. Organizationally, metadata work is now a part of Data Services,
and we're trying to build up production work to better serve the (slowly
growing) diversity of our community. Our team is strongly committed to
mentoring, supporting our faculty's research, and establishing safe spaces
where early career librarians from underrepresented groups can grow and
thrive.

Thanks,
Andi

Working Title: Metadata Analysis Librarian

Rank: Lecturer

Job Number: 512845

Job Description: The Metadata Analysis Librarian is an entry-level position
that focuses on the creation, maintenance, analysis and enrichment of
metadata representing the Library’s collections. The Librarian also works
on high priority, unique projects, such as: analysis of themes relevant to
diversity, inclusiveness, and equity within the Library’s collections;
recommendations for increasing the ability of the Library’s collections in
service of its most marginalized communities; and development of policy to
enhance the accessibility of metadata creation processes. The Librarian is
expected to communicate effectively about projects with colleagues and the
professional community.

Required Qualifications:

   - Graduate of an ALA-accredited master’s degree program in library
   and/or information science or early career information professional or
   related field
   - Professional commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion.
   - Evidence of strong analytical and problem solving skills;
   - Working knowledge of at least one metadata creation and editing tool
   (e.g. OpenRefine);
   - Familiarity with at least one non-MARC metadata standard (e.g. Dublin
   Core)
   - Experience working with metadata in a digital library environment;
   - Familiarity with or knowledge of Linked Data;
   - Excellent time management and ability to successfully handle multiple
   priorities;
   - Effective interpersonal, communication and presentation skills;
   - Demonstrated ability to work autonomously;
   - Ability to establish and build collaborative working relationships
   with a wide range of people;
   - Demonstrated ability to work effectively within a collaborative team
   environment.

Preferred Qualifications:

   - Demonstrated commitment to service;
   - Demonstrated commitment to inclusion and diversity;
   - Familiarity with archival descriptive standards (especially DACS)
   and/or encoding standards (especially EAD and EAC-CPF);
   - Demonstrated skills with tools for data manipulation, such as Open
   Refine, XSLT, or a scripting language such as Python or Ruby.

Employment Conditions:

   -

   Must have background Check

How to apply for this job: Applications must be submitted online at
https://careers.pageuppeople.com

Quick Link:
http://careers.pageuppeople.com/968/cw/en-us/job/512845/metadata-analysis-librarian

Employee Category: Administrative & Professional

Percent Employment: Full-time

Pay Range: $52,000

Department: Library

Work Location: Blacksburg, VA

Review Date: 3/12/2020

Regards,
Lisa Smith
Library Dean's Office Admin Assistant and HR Support (0434)
lisas9 at vt.edu
540-231-5595

--
Andrea L. Ogier (she/her)