[Rdap] part-time Data Management Consultant position at Virginia Tech

Jonathan Petters jpetters at vt.edu
Mon Feb 17 10:19:14 EST 2020

Please disseminate as you see fit!

Find below a posting and link to a part-time Data Management Consultant
position here at Virginia Tech
<http://careers.pageuppeople.com/968/cw/en-us/job/512847/data-mgmt-consultant>.
The chosen candidate will work with us here to support Virginia Tech
researchers in their data management planning, archiving/sharing of
research datasets, and improving our consulting and archiving processes.

This should be a great position for a) folks new to the field of research
data services looking to gain experience, b) folks in research data
services looking for part-time work, or c) both a) and b)!

Remote work is an option. Happy to answer questions about the position as I
can (or I will route them to our HR rep).

-Jon
--
Jonathan Petters Ph.D.
Data Management Consultant and Curation Services Coordinator

Link to the job posting
<http://careers.pageuppeople.com/968/cw/en-us/job/512847/data-mgmt-consultant>

Data Mgmt Consultant

Apply now
<https://secure.dc4.pageuppeople.com/apply/968/gateway/default.aspx?c=apply&lJobID=512847&lJobSourceTypeID=796&sLanguage=en-us>
*Job
no:* 512847
*Work type:* Hourly Wage/Part-Time
*Senior management:* Dean of Libraries
*Department:* Library
*Location:* Blacksburg Area
*Categories:* Library

*Job Description*

Under the direction of the Data Management and Curation Services
Coordinator, the Data Management Consultant will provide consultative
support to Virginia Tech researchers including evaluation of data planning
needs, assessing options for sharing data, tailoring recommendations to
specific granting agency or publisher requirements, and editing data
management plans. They will be responsible for triaging and routing other
research data management inquires and support requests to appropriate
personnel within Data Services, managing short and long-term communications
and relationships with researchers, PIs, and students, and developing
guidance on data management best practices.

*Required Qualifications*

− Bachelor's degree
− Demonstrated experience in service provision/working with clients
− Coursework or experience using data in an academic research setting
− Demonstrated experience in working in a collaborative team-based
environment

*Preferred Qualifications*

- Masters Degree
- Demonstrated experience conducting scholarly or scientific research using
data, either on a personal project or on a funded project. Must be able to
talk about depth of involvement in the project, details about methods/code
used, and analysis metrics.
- Experience in research data curation and data publication
- Experience in data management planning and writing/reviewing of data
management plans for funding proposals
- Experience in assessment related to program performance
- Experience in program planning and development

*Salary Information*

$16.50 dependent on qualifications and expertise

*Review Date*

2/25/2020

*Additional Information*

Average of 30 hours per week; between the hours or M-F 8am-5pm. These are
include summer and school break hours. This position has the possibility
for remote work.

The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction
check

The members of the University Libraries at Virginia Tech strive
individually and collectively to create, sustain, and share inclusive ways
of knowing in conscientious community with each other and all the people we
serve in every space we shape. In keeping with our Aspirational Identity
<https://lib.vt.edu/content/dam/lib_vt_edu/about/Aspirational_Identity_Aug2019.pdf>
and the Virginia Tech Principles of Community
<https://www.inclusive.vt.edu/Initiatives/vtpoc0.html>, the University
Libraries commit to build and maintain enduring climates of mutual care,
respect, and responsibility.

*About Virginia Tech*

Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and
learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the
nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may
serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of
community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and
practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going
efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that
nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively
seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing
leaders for the world.

Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or
applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including
pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic
information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual
orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees
or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or
the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis
protected by law.

If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please
contact the hiring department.

*Advertised:* February 10, 2020
*Applications close:* Open until filled