[Rdap] Data resulting from biosafety-related research: to publicly share or not?

Shorish, Yasmeen L - shorisyl shorisyl at jmu.edu
Fri Jul 24 17:49:32 EDT 2020

Hi Jon,

Is the concern here that making this data available would make it easier for ‘bad actors’ to misuse the information to harm others, i.e. use the data to weaponize pathogens? Or that the data could be used to undermine public safety be misrepresenting the data?

Depending on the relative risk, it may be more prudent to provide mediated access to the data. I don’t think there are fantastic rules for how we approach these scenarios from an ethics perspective, but think that we should be cognizant of the potential harms and relative likelihood of that harms when advising researchers about data sharing.

I haven’t looked into it, but maybe WHO or some biomed societies have recommendations? They may be more practice-related and not publication-related, but could be relevant?

Yasmeen

----
Yasmeen Shorish
Associate Professor | Head of Scholarly Communications
JMU Libraries | Rose 2309
shorisyl at jmu.edu<mailto:shorisyl at jmu.edu> | 540-568-4288 (not answering during pandemic)
Make an Appointment<https://events.lib.jmu.edu/appointments?u=8412>
she/her/hers
[cidimage001.png at 01D57950.008B9570] https://orcid.org/0000-0002-4155-8241<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__orcid.org_0000-2D0002-2D4155-2D8241&d=DwMGaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=TkWm5-BITfd1ajk2ZCG2Yw&m=Yo_q64bkuzZsLoKb22qPOIZNeEkhNbhZluKVnq-dV3k&s=6jI7MUS8srH6jAgXPGrCEIBcekMRzxzK9zOdXzIjHzg&e=>

I observe email free evenings and weekends.