[Rdap] FW: University of Cincinnati Press launches it's first open access publication. Take a look!

Koshoffer, Amy (koshofae) KOSHOFAE at UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Tue Mar 3 20:47:35 EST 2020

Sharing this new publication from UC Press.  Love to hear what you think.

Subject: University of Cincinnati Press launches it's first open access publication. Take a look!

Dear UC Library Faculty and Staff,

I am delighted to announce the publication of our first open access publication, Exploring the Architecture of Place in America's Farmers Markets by Kathyrn Clarke Albright in time for Open Education Week!  The book is an academically friendly look at the importance of farmers markets as places for community, economic and civic engagement. By looking at the architecture of these favorite spaces, including Findlay Market, Albright demonstrates how architectural elements and spatial conditions can foster social and economic exchange between vendors, shoppers and the community at large.

The open access version of Albright is fully viewable, downloadable and interactive on our Manifold platform https://ucincinnatipress.manifoldapp.org/projects/exploring-the-architecture-of-place-in-america-s-farmers-markets.  If you wish to engage in dialogue with other readers or the author, use the comment and annotation feature once you register online.  Otherwise you can read and download the interactive book without registering.

This book represents our first open access publication.  Developed through the Virginia Tech TOME (Toward an Open Monograph Ecosystem) grant, the Press received $18,000 from Virginia Tech University to develop this open access version.  The purpose of TOME https://www.openmonographs.org/ is to create open access monographs to assess if they improve readership, citation and overall use of monographs over commercially sold university press monographs.  TOME's goal is to create a more financially sustainable model for university press monographs, by encouraging universities to contribute the funds necessary to publish open access and open educational resources for readers everywhere-the academy, students and the general public to benefit from.  The TOME initiative is supported by 17 ARL and AAU universities including the University of Cincinnati.  The University of Cincinnati's TOME grant https://www.uc.edu/about/provost/awards/towards-open-monograph-ecosystem.html has funded 5 future monographs to date.

Exploring the Architecture of Place in America's Farmers Markets, like the rest of our open access publications, will create an enhanced reader and author experience.  Some exciting features of this open access edition included are unique to the University of Cincinnati model of publishing.  You won't find these features in eBooks published elsewhere:

? Direct live links embedded within the text to many of the locations and programs mentioned in the book
? Stable, permanent links embedded in the endnotes should the live link become dead
? Annotation and commenting capability throughout by registered users of our Manifold platform.  This allows readers and the author to engage in a dialogue in real time.  In order to use this feature you need to sign up for a free login with Manifold
? Ten video clips of Findlay Market.  Video clips of Blacksburg Market to come
? 100% accessibility-ready including alt text for all 75 images and closed captioning for 10 video clips

A print on demand paperback and eBook version of the book will be available for purchase next month as over 75% of book readers still prefer print over eBook.  But the open access version will be available in perpetuity and we hope will be the dominant, most used version of this book.  You can help us achieve this goal by reading, downloading, annotating and sharing the book with your college faculty, library colleagues at other universities, friends, and family.

Just a shout out to the production team who's hard work made this open access book possible:

? Sarah Muncy, our managing editor for the countless hours of production of both the print and open version of the boo and thoughtful, knowledgeable author management she provided.  And she provides the voice over for several of the videos!
? Mark Konecny and Sean Crowe for wrestling with the functionality of the open access platform and answering hundreds of our questions to allow us to launch this first book
? Luke Beckwith, our undergraduate Coop 2.0 student intern, for shooting and editing all of the video footage for the author (8 hours in all), creating the closed captioning, and testing and stabilizing the links throughout the book.  Again, countless hours involved
? Spoorti Satheesh, our architectural history masters student worker for assisting on the production of the open access version of Manifold

I encourage you to help our marketing interns Isaac Miller and Emily Bensi inspire awareness and enthusiasm for this book by commenting on the text, and sharing the link far and wide.  Can we get it around the world? Just in time for the warm weather and the dozens of Cincy pop up farmers stands!

Many thanks for all of your interest in support in the Press.  It keeps us going!

Liz

Elizabeth Scarpelli
Director (and acquiring editor) | University of Cincinnati Press & CLIPS
Langsam 463 - 465
513-556-1494
https://ucincinnatipress.uc.edu/

Member of AUPresses and LPC