[Rdap] Deciding when a Data Management Plan is not required?

Joe Hourcle oneiros at grace.nascom.nasa.gov
Thu May 5 09:32:55 EDT 2011

On May 5, 2011, at 9:09 AM, Aletia Morgan wrote:

> And this issue of transparency and accountability was my original
> rationale for suggesting that SOME Data Management Plan be included - even
> if it was "we'll back up the notes and word documents on our server".  To
> me, beyond  the issue of re-use of data, the political accountability
> question is probably the key driver for this whole initiative.
>
> So I think where I'm ending up is that I will still strongly recommend
> that SOME data management plan be included, but we'll see.

If it's a question of not including the plan entirely, I'd say that
you definitely need one, even if it's to say, 'we've reviewed
what the intermediate products of our effort will be, and we
don't believe they have value outside of our research, and
so have no plans to retain them.'

I'd think you'd want to show that you had at least considered
what was produced, and what their value is.

-----
Joe Hourcle
Programmer/Analyst
Solar Data Analysis Center