[Rdap] Best practice for when to share one's research data?

Rinehart, Amanda K. rinehart.64 at osu.edu
Fri Jan 22 15:36:47 EST 2016

Dunno of any ‘best practices’, but I’ve been in this situation before and used a Data Transfer/Use Agreement to spell out the quid pro quo arrangement. It’s stronger than a citation and allowed for data swapping without losing future potential (we wrote in that x-data was to be published by our grad student, etc.). However, two caveats – you have to know what data is going to be processed by who, and you have to have a legal rep vet the DTA/DUA (or create it entirely, depending on the respective universities). Depends on how badly your researcher wants to see that data ☺. I’ve also heard of people using a MOU for the same thing, but I’ve never done it that way before. Kudos to you for being a trusted entity that the researcher is consulting about this!

Thanks!

amanda